A-8-2 Physician Expense Adjustments Overview
The A-8-2 Physician Expense Adjustments interface allows for the compilation and analysis of Physician Expenses, and displays a summary for offset. The total amount offset on A-8-2 will flow to the A-8 Summary in Absolute. This section is comprised of two sections/tab as follows:
The Select Accounts tab allows the user to identify A-8-2 Total Remuneration amounts either via filtered GL accounts or by entering external amounts (if these expenses aren't easily identifiable in a specific GL account).
The Adjustments tab allows for setting up the adjustments for each A-8-2 line generated from the Select Accounts tab. Users will enter in the Provider Component and Hours for each applicable line, as well as choose an RCE Limit from a populated drop down list.
Select Accounts Tab
This tab allows for setting up A-8-2 Total Remuneration amounts either via account filters or by manually adding External Values.
Accounts can be selected for inclusion on A-8-2 Column 3 via account filters. The Account Selector allows the selecting of accounts for the account pool for inclusion on A-8-1 Column 5. Accounts are selected via filters, which can contain one or more rules. The accounts that fall under these rules are added to the account pool.
For more information on how to filter, please review the related article: Overview of Filters
Selected GL Accounts:
An account must either be offset or given an explanation as to why it isn't being offset to be considered complete.
- Offsetting an account: Click the Offset / Explanation cell for an account. This opens up the offset form. Accounts are typically offset 100%, but you may offset a specified percent or specified amount.
- Type: Click the Type field to open the type selector. Select the desired operation.
Percentage - Select to adjust account(s) by a percentage (ex. 23.7%).
Fixed Amount - Select to adjust account(s) by a dollar amount (ex. $100).
For a Percentage, enter the percentage to adjust by. (ex. 23%).
For a Fixed Amount, enter the dollar value of the adjustment operation (ex. $100).
- A-8-2 Line: Enter the A-8-2 line number the adjustment will be applied to. It must be a whole number. Multiple accounts/values may be applied to one A-8-2 line number, but they must all come from the same Worksheet A Line.
- Source: To attach a support paper from the Source Documents pool, click the Source field to select the desired uploaded support paper from the list. Only PDFs are allowed to be attached as a source document.
- To Add the Operation: After entering a new value in the input box, click the O button to enter the changes, or click the X button to cancel.
- Offset Comment: After an offset has been entered, a comment may be added. Click the Comment button to open up the comment window. Enter a comment about the account being offset, up to 160 characters. Click the O to update the comment. ou can enter a blank field to clear out the comment. Any account with a comment will show an orange filled icon. Hovering the mouse over the comment button will display any comments already added.
- Excluding an account: Click the exclude box to open up the explanation input. Enter an explanation as to why the account is being excluded. After entering a new explanation in the input box, click the O button to enter the changes, or click the X button to cancel.
Add External Amount
This section will allow you to add an A-8-2 line without identifying the associated GL account.
- Description: Add a description for the amount. This can be up to 160 alphanumeric characters.
- Value: Enter the dollar value of the amount (ex. $100).
- A Line: Enter the Worksheet A line number. The line number may be entered by typing it in the text box, or by clicking the Select Line button and selecting the line number from the list.
- A-8-2 Line: Enter the A-8-2 line number the adjustment will be applied to. Only one Worksheet A line is allowed to be associated with each A-8-2 line. Multiple accounts/values may be applied to one A-8-2 line number, but they must all come from the same Worksheet A Line.
- Source: To attach a support paper from the Source Documents pool, click the Source field to select the desired uploaded support paper from the list.
- To add the A-8-2 line/WS A amount: Click the O button to add the A-8-1 line/WS A amount, or click the X button to cancel.
The Adjustments Tab will display a summary of the Total Remuneration amounts by Worksheet A Line and Worksheet A-8-2 Line, and these values flow over from the Select Accounts tab automatically. The user can enter in any applicable Provider Component and Provider Hours on this tab, as well as select the proper RCE limit from the drop down box.
The A-8-2 Lines section on this tab has two parts: Physician Remuneration and Other Costs.
Physician Remuneration Tab
To edit an A-8-2 Line, either click the Edit link button for the row or just click the row itself, and this will open that line in edit mode. After entering data, click the O to confirm, or X to cancel.
To clear all data for a line, click the Clear link button. Click the O to confirm, or X to cancel.
The following is a summary of the types of data in each column of this tab:
- Line (A-8-2 Line) and A Ln (Worksheet A Line): These automatically flow over from the Select Accounts tab.
- Total Remuneration: This is the total GL balance from selected accounts on the Select Accounts tab.
- Professional Component: This is the amount of Remuneration related to Physician Expenses. This field is automatically calculated by taking the Total Remuneration from the previous column, less any Provider Component entered in this line.
- Provider Component: Enter the applicable Provider Component dollars for this line item.
- Provider Component Source: This is the referenced source document for the provider component. Click the Select button to display the documents uploaded in the Source Documents section and select the applicable document.
- RCE Amount: This is the Reasonable Compensation Amount. Click the Select button to display the possible RCE amounts for this facility and select the appropriate amount. An RCE Amount must be selected if a Provider Component amount is entered. Select the Not Applicable option for a critical access hospital (CAH).
- Physician/Provider Compensated Hours: Enter the hours related to the entered Provider Component for this row.
- Hours Source: This is the source document for the hours. Click the Select button to display the documents uploaded in the Source Documents section and select the applicable document.
- A-8-2 Adjustment: This is the total amount that will be adjusted on the A-8 resulting from the data entered for the line. This total will flow to the A-8 Summary.
Orphaned A-8-2 adjustments: If an existing A-8-2 line adjustment has all related selected accounts removed, the adjustment data will display in red with N/A for Worksheet A Line. For information about this error, review the linked article from the support website.
Other Costs Tab
The following is a summary of the additional types of Physician Expense that can be entered for reporting on Worksheet A-8-2:
- Cost of Membership & Education: Amount spent on membership and education for physician.
- Membership & Education Source: Source document for the membership and education. Click the Select button to display the documents uploaded in the Source Documents section and select the applicable document.
- Physician Cost of Malpractice Insurance: Amount spent on malpractice insurance for physician.
- Malpractice Insurance Source: Source document for the malpractice insurance. Click the Select button to display the documents uploaded in the Source Documents section and select the applicable document.
Worksheet A-8-2 Data Import
If A-8-2 Total Remuneration values are not easily identifiable in a particular GL account, or if extensive analysis and adjustments are done to the A-8-2 values prior to reporting on the cost report, Worksheet A-8-2 data may be imported into Absolute via an import template, on the Select Accounts tab.
Note that Importing data will overwrite all manually added lines and amounts, as well as all amounts inserted on the Adjustments tab. Data can only be imported prior to selecting accounts via filters.
An import template may be downloaded out of Absolute by clicking on the Download Template Link.
The data in this template should conform to the following criteria:
- Column 1: Worksheet A-8-2 line the expenses will be reported on. It must be a whole number between 1 and 199.
- Column 2: A-8-2 line description. It must be 160 characters or less.
- Column 3: Worksheet A line the expenses will be offset against. This must be an existing Worksheet A line.
- Column 4: Total Physician Remuneration to offset. This must be a dollar amount, with an optional $.
- Column 5: The provider component of the expenses. This must be a dollar amount, with an optional $.
- Column 6: Physician/provider component hours. This must be entered if there is a provider component.
- Column 7: Membership and education costs. This must be a dollar amount, with an optional $.
- Column 8: Malpractice insurance costs. This must be a dollar amount, with an optional $.
- The first row in the source file is assumed to contain headers and will be ignored.
Once this template is completed and saved, it may be uploaded into Absolute by clicking on the Import A-8-2 Data option, and browsing to where this file is saved.
Note: Every row in the source file must pass validation in order for the information to be added to the database. If one or more rows does not pass validation, an error message will display detailing the issue(s) in the row(s).
Mark A-8-2 complete
In order to mark the A-8-2 stage complete, all A-8-2 lines must be valid and calculated. In addition, Worksheet A-6 must be marked complete.
Please click here to view a video tutorial on A-8-2.